At St Nicholas Primary School, we are committed to raising the standards of learning and teaching of mathematics.
We aim to:
- Meet the statutory requirements of the New National Curriculum 2014;
- Develop fluency in basic number concepts;
- Develop positive attitudes towards mathematics and lifelong learning;
- Develop an ability in the children to choose and explain appropriate methods or strategies for their calculations and when solving real-life problems;
- Develop ability to think clearly and logically with independence of thought and flexibility of mind;
- Promote enjoyment, enthusiasm and motivation for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion;
- Promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system;
- Develop the ability to solve problems in a logical way through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts;
- Make children aware of the patterns and relationships in the structure of mathematics;
- Demonstrate the importance of mathematics in everyday life and its links with other areas of the curriculum.
Learning and Teaching
The school uses a variety of teaching styles to cater for the variety of learning styles of pupils in mathematics lessons. We do this through a daily lesson that has a high proportion of whole-class and group-direct teaching. During these lessons we encourage children to ask as well as answer mathematical questions. They have the opportunity to use a wide range of vocabulary and resources to support their learning. Children use computers and technology in mathematics lessons where it will enhance their learning, as in modelling ideas and methods.
Click to view our Calculation Policy