At St Nicholas CE VA Primary we are always striving to ‘be the best we can be’. In English, we aim to inspire as well as educate the pupils. We provide the children with every opportunity possible, from high quality teaching and learning to the use of a wide variety of outside resources such as: author visits, book fairs and theatre visits to develop their skills and love of this subject.
Our English Curriculum encourages our children to be:
- Be effective, competent communicators and good listeners;
- Express opinions, articulate feelings and formulate responses to a range of texts both fiction and non-fiction using appropriate technical vocabulary;
- Foster an interest in words and their meanings, and to develop a growing vocabulary in both spoken and written form;
- Enjoy and engage with and understand a range of text types and genres;
- Be able to write in a variety of styles and forms showing awareness of audience and purpose;
- Develop powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness in all areas of literacy;
- Use grammar and punctuation accurately;
- Understand spelling conventions;
- Produce effective, well-presented written work.
Please read our English Policy for details of how we teach reading, writing and phonics.
Also click here to read more about our KS1 Reading, Writing and Phonic Scheme.